Edge-of-Field monitoring began in Minnesota in 1997 with three sites as a part of the Red Top Tile Drainage Demonstration. Since then, EOF monitoring has been conducted as a part of seven unique projects:
- Discovery Farms Minnesota
- Clay County Drainage Demonstration
- Red River Valley Drainage Water Management
- Root River Field to Stream Partnership
- Conservation Innovation Grant Monitoring Edge-of-Field Monitoring Equipment Assessment
- Highway 90 Tile Demonstration
- Red Top Tile Demonstration
- St. Clair Vegetative Filter Strip Demonstration
The MDA along with cooperators and partners, is responsible for installing and maintaining equipment to collect water quality, flow, meteorological and other project specific data.
Number of Monitoring Sites
- Since 2009, MDA has increased the number of EOF monitoring sites from 7 to 38 sites
- Monitoring sites stretch across the different types of agricultural areas of Minnesota
The collection of this data provides a useful tool to help inform the public and work with landowners to reduce nutrient and sediment pollution.