***Attention: Due to the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic and workplace requirements, MDA food licensing staff are not available for walk-in services at the MDA St. Paul office location. We are available for pre-scheduled appointments by phone, video conference, or in-person to assist and address your individual situation, as needed. If you’d like to set up an appointment please call 651-201-6062 and leave a voicemail with your contact information or email mda.licensing@state.mn.us.

The Food and Feed Safety Division is responsible for licensing and inspections of permanent and mobile retail food establishments, wholesale food handlers, wholesale food processor manufacturers and food brokers. Please use the links below to find more information about each license type.

Some food businesses are excluded or exempt from licensing, including cottage food producers. Please visit food license exclusions and exemptions for more information.

If you want to open a new food business and don't know where to start, try the Food Licensing and Food Safety Wizard.

If you have further questions, please fill out the pre-consultation questionnaire for a referral to the MDA Licensing Liaison.

If you currently own a licensed food business and want to expand, remodel, or relocate your existing business, want to sell your existing business, or want to begin the licensing process, please call 651-201-6062 or email mda.licensing@state.mn.us.

Food License Types: