We're no longer accepting applications for the 2022 program. Details on this page apply to Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 funding. The next application period (FY 2023) opens in the fall of 2022.
The AGRI Livestock Investment Grant encourages long-term industry development for Minnesota livestock farmers and ranchers by helping them improve, update, and modernize their livestock operation infrastructure and equipment.
Minnesota livestock farmers may apply. Applicants must be:
- in good standing with the state of Minnesota (no back taxes)
- a current Minnesota resident or a business entity that has authorization to farm in Minnesota
- the principal operator of the farm
NOTE: "Livestock" includes beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, poultry, goats, mules, bison, sheep, horses, farmed cervidae (deer), ratitae (flightless birds including emu), and llamas.
This grant program reimburses investments in:
- Buildings or facilities for the production of livestock or livestock products.
- Development of pasture for use by livestock, including but not limited to lanes, watering systems, and fences.
- Equipment for livestock housing, confinement, feeding, and waste management.
All project materials and services must be purchased and paid for AFTER January 1, 2022. Any expenses incurred prior to that date are not eligible for reimbursement.
The grant will NOT pay for livestock, buying pasture/cropland, animal feed, crop seed, planters, combines, or debt refinancing.
- We expect to award a total of $1.3 million in Fiscal Year 2022.
- We reimburse 10% of the first $250,000 of an eligible investment.
- For each project, the maximum grant amount available per fiscal year is $25,000.
- Only one grant per project.
- The lifetime maximum per farm is $50,000.
- There will be two rounds of funding. In the Fall 2021 round, we awarded $880,000 to 50 applicants. Fall 2021 applicants who were not awarded grants will automatically be considered for grants during the Spring 2022 round.
The 2022 application period has ended. We expect the next application period to begin in the fall of 2022; check back for updated program materials.
To learn more about the program and start planning for next year, read last year's Request for Proposals (PDF) for eligibility, requirements, and priorities. If you need this information in an alternative format, please contact the program administrator.