Details on this page apply to the previous round of funding. Check back in Fall 2021 when the next application period opens and updated grant details are released.
The AGRI Livestock Investment Grant encourages long-term industry development for Minnesota livestock farmers and ranchers by helping them improve, update, and modernize their livestock operation infrastructure and equipment.
Minnesota livestock farmers may apply. Applicants must be:
- in good standing with the state of Minnesota (no back taxes)
- a current Minnesota resident or a business entity that has authorization to farm in Minnesota
- the principal operator of the farm
NOTE: "Livestock" includes beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, poultry, goats, mules, bison, sheep, horses, farmed cervidae (deer), ratitae (flightless birds including emu), and llamas.
This grant program reimburses investments in:
- Buildings or facilities for the production of livestock or livestock products.
- Development of pasture for use by livestock including, but not limited to, lanes, watering systems, and fences.
- Equipment for livestock housing, confinement, feeding, and waste management.
All project materials and services must be purchased AND paid between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2022. Any expenses incurred outside this time frame are not eligible for reimbursement.
The grant will NOT pay for livestock, buying pasture/cropland, animal feed, crop seed, planters, combines, or debt refinancing.
- We expect to award a total of $789,000 in Fiscal Year 2021.
- We reimburse 10 percent of the first $250,000 of an eligible investment.
- For each project, the maximum grant amount available per year is $25,000.
- Only one grant per project.
- The lifetime maximum is $50,000.
We expect the next application period to begin in the fall of 2021; updated program materials will be posted at that time.
To learn more about how the program works, read last year's Request for Proposals (RFP). This grant program is subject to change so you should read the updated RFP when it's posted. You can also review the list of past projects and request a copy of an application to help you prepare.
If you need this information in an alternative format, please contact the program administrator.