Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) is a concern for Minnesota's poultry industry and bird owners. For the latest information on the state's response, visit the Minnesota Board of Animal Health website

All bird owners, whether commercial producers or backyard enthusiasts, need to:

  • practice good biosecurity,
  • prevent contact between their birds and wild birds, and
  • report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to your local veterinarian, then to State/Federal officials.

The state has activated an HPAI hotline for anyone with poultry to ask questions or for anyone to report sick birds at 1-833-454-0156.


Protecting your birds from disease has always been important. However, taking biosecurity to the next level is now more crucial than ever. Visit the Minnesota Board of Animal Health's website for biosecurity information and resources.

USDA has many resources available for both commercial poultry producers and backyard bird owners through the Defend the Flock campaign. More information about this campaign, as well as links to toolkits containing biosecurity checklists, videos, and more are available at USDA's website.

Permitting Movement of Birds/Poultry-related Products

When a Minnesota premises is identified with HPAI, on-the-ground response efforts begin immediately. Animal health officials carry out a number of activities according to protocols established by the U. S. Department of Agriculture in order to manage the disease and reduce any potential risk of its spread. These activities take place not only on the affected premises, but also in two areas around the affected premises called the control area and surveillance zone.

A control area is a 10 km (6.2 miles) zone established around infected flocks. If you raise poultry and your farm is located in a control area, you will need a permit from the Board of Animal Health to move your birds and/or poultry related products on or off your farm. Visit the Minnesota Board of Animal Health's website for permitting.

Premise Identification Number (PIN)

All animal production or processing facilities in Minnesota are highly encouraged to register their site to obtain an official Premise Identification Number (PIN). The PIN is a location-based official identification number for each animal production site or animal product processing facility. This permanent number does not change, even if the premises is sold. In basic terms, the PIN is a unique number given to a livestock farm or processing plant that can be used as an identification number, especially when emergencies occur that affect our food supply chain. The Board of Animal Health has more information.

Disaster Loans Available to Impacted Producers

The Rural Finance Authority (RFA) has 0% interest loans available for Minnesota producers whose operations have been impacted by highly pathogenic avian influenza. The Disaster Recovery Loan is available to help a farmer cover lost revenue or expenses not covered by insurance. The loan can be used to replace flocks, make building improvements, or cover the loss of revenue due to HPAI in a commercial poultry or game flock. Producers work through their local lender to apply for the Disaster Recovery Loan Program. More information is available on the RFA website.


Disease outbreaks among livestock can add to stress, financial problems, price and marketing uncertainties, household difficulties, and social pressures. You can contact the Minnesota Farm and Rural Helpline anytime for support:

Visit the Minnesota Farm and Rural Helpline web page for more information and resources.

Poultry and Egg Producers

The MDA's Meat, Poultry, and Egg Inspection team has information for producers looking to expand their poultry or egg sales or find new markets.

Poultry and Egg Buyers

Find local sources for buying eggs, chicken, turkey, game birds, duck, and duck eggs through Minnesota Grown's online directory.

Wild Birds

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is coordinating with U.S. Department of Agriculture's Plant and Animal Health Inspection Service to conduct surveillance for HPAI in wild birds. Visit the DNR's website for the latest on HPAI wild bird detections, hunter resources, and information on feeding songbirds.