NOTICE: If you have an immediate need for slaughter of livestock or poultry due to a lost market or other COVID-19 related issue, please contact one of the following individuals for assistance in finding appropriate meat processing resources:
- Jim Ostlie: 320-842-6910 or Jim.Ostlie@state.mn.us
- Courtney VanderMey: 651-201-6135 or Courtney.VanderMey@state.mn.us
The Minnesota State Meat, Poultry, and Egg Inspection Program is responsible for ensuring that meat and poultry processed in the State are both safe and wholesome. Meat, poultry, and egg products are an integral part of the food chain. Because these products can be associated with food borne diseases, ensuring that the products produced in Minnesota are safe is an important public health safeguard. This program provides services in the following ways:
Producers and Farmers
- Find a plant to slaughter animals that I have raised for personal use
- Find a plant to slaughter animals for meat or poultry products that I want to sell to restaurants and grocery stores
- Find a Minnesota Equal To or USDA Plant
- Start a meat and poultry processing business
- Sell my meat and poultry products
- Sell my eggs
- Process my own birds for personal use
- Sell poultry that I raise
- Sell my poultry to individuals
- Sell my poultry to stores and restaurants
- Start a poultry plant
Plant and Business Owners
- I need help understanding
The Minnesota Department of Agriculture strives to ensure that reasonable steps are taken to provide meaningful access and an equal opportunity to participate in services, activities and programs to individuals whose first language is not English or who need an accommodation for a disability.
Translation services are available if individuals need assistance to access services, activities and programs; key documents and resources may be translated upon request.
For assistance in obtaining access to services or to arrange for translation services, please contact the Dairy and Meat Inspection Division at 651-201-6300.
"The Minnesota Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer and provider."