The MDA is responsible for the development, promotion and evaluation of BMPs. The BMPs include mandatory label requirements and a series of optional voluntary practices. Together, these practices reduce contamination of water resources, reduce the severity of off-target impacts and guide chemical use while considering the specific needs of farming operations.
These voluntary BMPs should be adopted when applying all agricultural herbicides in Minnesota.
- General Water Quality BMPs for all Agricultural Herbicides (PDF)
- Specific Water Quality BMPs for acetochlor, atrazine, metolachlor and metribuzin
The following core voluntary BMPs should be adopted when applying agricultural insecticides in Minnesota. The BMPs may also refer to mandatory label use requirements. Always read and follow product labels. Sources of additional information are listed in these BMPs.
- General Water Quality BMPs for all Agricultural Insecticides (PDF)
- Neonicotinoids BMPs
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for Chlopyrifos (PDF)*
- Chlorpyrifos Label Setbacks in Minnesota*
*For information about significant changes in allowable use for chlorpyrifos, see Chlorpyrifos- Revocation of Food and Feed Use.
These BMPs are designed to prevent fungicide drift and minimize volatilization, and to protect bystanders and off-target areas.
Pesticide Management and Handling BMPs
These BMPs are designed to protect personal safety and the environment, and provide guidelines to apply, manage and dispose of waste properly.
- Handling Pesticides Safely
- Managing Pesticides, Waste Pesticides and Empty Pesticide Containers
- Mixing and Loading Pesticides
- Pesticide Application How-To's
Pesticide BMPs for Turfgrass (lawns and golf courses)
The MDA and the University of Minnesota developed a set of core voluntary BMPs related to turfgrass pesticides. The purpose of these BMPs is to protect water resources, humans, and non-target organisms including pollinators. The BMPs were finalized based on comments received during a public comment period.
- BMPs for Turfgrass Pesticides (PDF)
- Turfgrass Pesticide use BMPs for Homeowners & Commercial Lawn Care
Pesticide Cue Cards
Cue cards are developed to provide guidance on the setback or buffer requirements of certain pesticides to protect water resources. The information in these cue cards is not a substitute of the product label. Always carefully read, understand and follow the product label.
- Herbicide Drift Management (PDF)
- Label Setback or Buffer Requirements for Certain Herbicides (PDF)
- Label Setback or Buffer Requirements for Chlorpyrifos and Synthetic Pyrethroids (PDF)
- Atrazine Use - Setback Requirements and Restrictions for Standpipes (PDF)