NEW Draft Water Quality BMPs for Atrazine
The MDA is requesting comments on the Draft Water Quality Best Management Practices for Atrazine.
The MDA developed voluntary Water Quality Best Management Practices for Atrazine BMPs in 2004 and revised them in 2011. Currently, the MDA is again revising these voluntary BMPs in response to current agricultural practices. The MDA requests comments on the document, which represents a revision of best management practices developed in 2004 and revised in 2011.
Written comments, questions and requests for more information will be received for 60 days, ending on March 15, 2019. Please direct your written comments to:
Larry VanLieshout, Larry.VanLieshout@state.mn.us
Minnesota Department of Agriculture
625 Robert Street North
St. Paul, MN 55155
All Agricultural Herbicide & Acetochlor BMPs Adopted
The MDA adopted the revised voluntary Best Management Practices for All Agricultural Herbicides and for Acetochlor. These BMPs were originally drafted in 2004, revised in 2010 and revised again after a public review process in 2018. The revisions were made in collaboration with the University of Minnesota Extension and other interested parties.
The purpose of these BMPs is to protect Minnesota's groundwater and surface water from potential herbicide contamination resulting from normal agricultural use. These voluntary BMPs should be adopted when applying all agricultural herbicides including acetochlor in Minnesota.
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for All Agricultural Herbicides (PDF)
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for Acetochlor (PDF)
BMP Sheets: The BMPs for select herbicides are listed below. They were originally written in 2004 and updated in 2008.
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for Atrazine (PDF)
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for Metolachlor (PDF)
- Water Quality Best Management Practices for Metribuzin (PDF)
- Herbicides Containing Acetochlor or Atrazine (PDF)
- Atrazine products which include and which do not include "terraced field" standpipe setback language on their labels (PDF)
- Best Management Practices for Acetochlor Poster (2008)
Provide the BMPs specific to the corn herbicide acetochlor. Prepared by the Acetochlor Registration Partnership in cooperation with the MDA.
- Protect Surface Water Poster (2007)
Illustrates the use of filter strips, a BMP for protecting water from runoff from field applied atrazine, acetochlor and other herbicides.
Required Atrazine Setbacks Poster
Illustrates mandatory atrazine application setbacks included on the label of any herbicide product containing atrazine. Unlike BMPs, which are voluntary practices, the application setback on this poster are label requirements.