On May 17, 2021, the Minnesota Legislature passed changes to the Cottage Food Law. The changes include:

  • An exemption for cottage food pet treats (MS section 25.391) for individuals who prepare and sell home-processed pet treats for cats and dogs, provided certain conditions are met. The exemption is for cat and dog treats only.
  • A higher cap on Tier II annual gross receipts of $78,000.
  • An increased cap on Tier I annual gross receipts of $5,000. This amount will be adjusted by January 1, 2022, based on the consumer price index. This means the Tier I gross receipts will change to approximately $7,200 for 2022.
  • Individual registrants may organize their cottage food business as a business entity recognized by state law.

More information will be coming. Continue to check this page for additional updates. If you have questions regarding this announcement, please email mda.licensing@state.mn.us.

Cottage Food Registration

This registration is for individuals only (including sole-proprietorships). Businesses such as firms, partnerships, corporations, societies, associations, and companies may not be registered as a cottage food producer.

The passage of the Cottage Food Law in Minnesota changed sections of legislation under MS 28A.15 previously known as the 'non-potentially hazardous foods section' and 'the pickle bill'. The cottage food law replaces both of these sections.

Cottage food producers must do the following:

  1. Register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) before selling exempt food regardless of the amount of food sold.
  2. Take an approved food safety course once every three years while actively selling cottage food.
  3. Register with the MDA each year food is sold under the Cottage Food Exemption.
  4. Prepare and sell only NON-potentially hazardous food (such as baked goods, certain jams and jellies) and/or home canned pickles, vegetables, or fruits with a pH of 4.6 or lower.
  5. Label food with your name and address, the date produced, and the ingredients, including potential allergens.
  6. Display a sign that says “These products are homemade and not subject to state inspection.” If you are selling on the Internet, post this statement on your webpage.
  7. Deliver food directly to the ultimate consumer. The person who makes the food must be the same person who sells and delivers the food.
  8. Sell from a private home, at farmer’s markets, community events, or on the Internet.
  9. Check with your local city, county, or township regarding business licensing or sales prohibitions due to zoning requirements.
  10. Sell less than $18,000 in a calendar year. If you sell between $5,000 and $18,000 dollars per year a $50 fee applies to your registration.

Please be aware that these sales are subject to income tax and may be subject to sales tax. Contact the Minnesota Department of Revenue for more information at 651-556-3000.

Basic Registration Process:

Step one:

Complete the training for Cottage Food Producer Registration (PDF) online for gross annual food sales of $0-5000.


Complete an advanced training offered by the University of Minnesota Extension Food Safety Program (EXT) for gross annual food sales of $5001-18000.

Step two:

Based on the training, determine if you are eligible to register for this license exemption.

Step three:

After finishing the training, complete the cottage food producer registration form. Registration can be completed online or through the mail.

To register online, visit the MDA Online Licensing and Payment System.

To register through the mail, request a paper application by emailing MDA.CottageFood@state.mn.us or calling 651-201-6027.

Step four:

Submit the registration form with the fee, if required.

If you are registering online, payment of any fees can be completed online at the same time as your registration.

If you are registering through the mail, send the registration form and the fee, if required, to the mailing address on the form. If you are in the $0-$5,000 level and do not need to send payment, you can also email your form to MDA.CottageFood@state.mn.us.

Step five:

MDA will send you a registration card in the mail that will contain a unique registration number.

You will be registered once your complete information has been received by the MDA.