Before a person may distribute a pet food or specialty pet food in the state, a listing of each product and a label must be submitted annually for products which are distributed only in packages of ten pounds or less.
Who Needs a Commercial Feed License?
- Anyone in Minnesota who is making animal feed including pet and specialty pet food, they intend to distribute to others. If you are only making animal feed for personal use a license is not required.
- Anyone inside or outside of Minnesota who distributes animal feed to others in Minnesota. Retail-only locations do not need a license.
- Anyone inside or outside of Minnesota who has their name and address on the label of an animal feed product distributed in Minnesota.
- Feed licenses are unique to each location. If you open a second qualifying location, you would need a second license.
How Long Does a Commercial Feed License Last?
- You must get a feed license before doing any of the above activities.
- A feed license is valid from January 1 to December 31 and must be renewed annually in order to continue any of the above activities.
How Much Does a Commercial Feed License Cost?
- A feed license costs $75.OO.
- There is a $100.00 penalty fee for anyone who fails to get a license or renews after the December 31 deadline.
How Do I Get a Commercial Feed License?
- If you need a Commercial Feed License Application, please call 651-201-6062 or send an e-mail to MDA.Licensing@state.mn.us
What is a Tonnage Fee?
- Tonnage fees must be paid annually for all animal feed, feed ingredient, and feed additives manufactured in Minnesota. The tonnage fee is 16 cents/ton or $75.00 (whichever is greater) and is due by January 31. Pet and specialty pet food sold exclusively in packages of 10 lbs. or less is exempt from tonnage fees. These products must instead be registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture on an annual basis. What is Product Registration? All pet and specialty pet foods sold exclusively in packages of 10 lbs. or less must be registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. Tonnage fees do not need to be paid on these products. There is a product registration fee of $100.00/ product. Product registration is valid from July 1 to June 30 and must be renewed annually. There is a $100.00 penalty fee/product for anyone who fails to register products prior to distribution or renews after the June 30 deadline.