Structural Pest Control Applicators (SPCAs) are persons who apply pesticides or use any device to control, mitigate, or repel pests that are in, on, or around structures and work for a licensed Structural Pest Control Company. (See company license requirements listed below.) This work is for-hire, which means you charge or invoice customers for services. SPCA may not commercially apply any pesticide UNTIL they have a valid license, either the electronic facsimile from our webpage or the plastic wallets-sized card . A Fumigation Endorsement can be added to a Structural Applicator License by taking an additional exam. This endorsement allows a licensed applicator to use fumigants in stored grain and structures.
SPCA License with Category
|Structural (SPCA) License Category||Description||Can the license include a Fumigation Endorsement?|
|Journeyman||An applicator is first license as an SPA Journeyman to work for a licensed SPA Company||Yes|
|Master||After two (2) years licensed as a Journeyman working for a licensed SPCA Company, an applicator can apply to become a licensed Master||Yes|
How to Apply for a Structural Pest Control Applicator (SPCA) License, Journeyman or Master Categories:
- Complete a NEW Structural Pesticide Applicator License application form online or print a form to complete and mail to MDA. Also see Identification Number Requirements
- Submit license fees and surcharges with application form either on paper or online. Payment or proof of online payment for license must be made before taking the certification exams.
- Take and pass Core (A) and SPCA Journeyman exams. Call 651-201-6633 or Pesticide.Licensing@state.mn.us to schedule an exam at MDA.
- All Structural Pest Control Applicators must meet Financial Responsibility Requirements
- Study Materials for the exams may be ordered from University of Minnesota Bookstores Extension Publications online or call 612-301-3989.
Structural Pest Control Company License
To obtain a Structural Pest Control Applicator license, applicators must be employed by a licensed Structural Pest Control Company. To be licensed as a company you must:
- Employ at least one SPCA Master with a valid MN applicator license
- Provide Workers Compensation Insurance Information
- Meet Financial Responsibility Requirements
- Apply online or print and submit an application
- Pay license fees and surcharges with application
Structural Pest Control Renewal Requirements
In addition to the information for general renewal and recertification:
If an applicator fails to renew by March 31st,
he or she must apply as a new applicant and schedule and pass required exams.
- SPCA renewal application forms are mailed to the employer in November. The license fee is due at the time of renewal. Licenses can be renewed online, by mail or in person at the MDA. Applicators must meet recertification requirements every year before renewal.
- If a license is not renewed by the expiration date of December 31st, the late fee is 50% of the license fee.
- If an applicator fails to renew a structural pest control license within three months of its expiration and wants to become licensed, the applicator must meet the requirements. Follow the procedures as required for an initial license including taking the CORE (Category A) and SPCA Journeyman or Master exams.