Step 7 – Food Licensing (roundabout with exits to the MDA, MDH, Federal, and Delegated Agencies)

Depending on your food business, you may require training and/or licensing from the MDH, MDA, and/or federal and local delegated agencies.

  • Most food products that are served and eaten on-site (e.g. food trucks, restaurants, caterers) require a license from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
  • Most retail and manufactured food products require a license from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA).
  • Some types of food businesses may require licensing or training from federal agencies or local delegated agencies.

Useful Tools to Help You Start

MDA Inspected

MDH Inspected

FDA/USDA Inspected

Inspected by Someone Else (Delegated Agencies)

Back to the top


Resources listed do not constitute the MDA’s endorsement of a service, program, or organization. The MDA accepts no liability for the content of these resources.