Effective January 1, 2018: The Agricultural Chemical Response and Reimbursement Account (ACRRA) surcharge decreased from 30-cents per ton to 17-cents per ton.
The MDA oversees the sale, use, distribution, transfer, labeling and storage of specialty fertilizers. Our objective is to promote fair trade practices among businesses that sell specialty fertilizer products and to ensure labels are accurate and understandable.
A specialty fertilizer is a fertilizer labeled and distributed for, but not limited to, the following uses: greenhouses, nurseries, home gardens, house plants, lawn fertilizer that is not custom applied, shrubs, golf courses, municipal parks, and cemeteries.
It is illegal to sell brands or grades of specialty fertilizers in Minnesota unless the fertilizer is registered with the MDA. Generally, specialty fertilizers that are custom applied and/or custom blended are exempt from the registration requirement under certain circumstances. Registration of a fertilizer is not a warranty by the state. (Minn. Stat. 18C.411)
The application for registration must include:
- a completed registration application form;
- a copy of the specialty fertilizer product label(s); and
- the appropriate application fees. (Minn. Stat. 18C.425)
- The annual application fee for registration of a specialty fertilizer is $100 for each brand and grade to be sold or distributed.
- Application fees are nonrefundable. Therefore, we recommend that copies of labels or proposed labels be submitted to us for review and comment prior to submission of a registration application. This may prevent the loss of fees in case a product registration is denied
- The registration period is effective until January 1 following the date of issuance or approval. The application for renewal of a registration of a product must be filed with us on or before December 31 the previous year or an additional application (penalty) fee of one-half of the application fee ($50) is due.
- A product registration is not transferable from one person to another or from the ownership to whom the registration is issued to another ownership