All registrations of specialty fertilizer products expire on December 31. You will receive your Specialty Fertilizer Registration Renewal application by mail. Make any corrections, deletions or additions to the application. If more space is needed, please use the reverse side of application.

A penalty of 50% of the registration fee will be assessed to all renewal applications postmarked after December 31.

Labels and labeling used in promoting the sale of the products you are registering must be submitted for all new and conditionally (*) registered products. Labels for renewal products need only be submitted if label modifications have been made since last submission. No registration will be granted until product labels have been submitted for all new and conditionally (*) registered products.

Frequently Asked Questions

My product labels and Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) have not changed. Do I need to include them with my renewal application?

NO. Labels and MSDS for renewal products need only be submitted if label modifications have been made since last submission, products are listed as conditional on the renewal application, or if new products are added on the renewal application.

What does the asterisk (*) mean in the column marked "Cond"?

This indicates the product was conditionally registered for the previous registration period due to the product label not complying with our department’s regulations. If the labeling issues were not addressed as required, registration may be denied.

Can we add new products to the renewal form or do we need a separate application?

YES. Products can be added to the bottom or reverse side of the renewal form. If you need additional new product registration applications, please download a (new) specialty fertilizer registration application (PDF: 89 KB / 1 page) or please contact Carol Durden, 651-201-6379,

We are closed the last two weeks of the year for Christmas. Is it possible to waive the late fee?

NO, not according to Minnesota law. State, Chapter 18C.425, Subdivision 4 states: If an application for renewal of a registration of a specialty fertilizer is not filed before January 1 of the year, as required, an additional application fee of one-half of the amount due must be paid before the renewal registration may be issued. 

The envelope containing your renewal application must be postmarked by December 31st.

Does Minnesota have a law that regulates metals in fertilizers?

YES.  Minnesota Statutes, Section 18C.401 Subd. 5. The commissioner may not license or register for sale or use in Minnesota any fertilizer containing more than 500 parts per million by weight of arsenic.

Do I need to submit a report of arsenic analysis with each fertilizer registration or license application? 

Reports of arsenic analysis are no longer required to be submitted at the time of product registration or licensing.  Instead, a company representative will certify that all fertilizers submitted for registration or requiring a license comply with Minnesota Statutes, Section 18C.401 Subd. 5. When you sign and submit an application for registration or license.  However, reports of arsenic analysis should be on file and available if requested by the MDA.

How is compliance with Minnesota’s metals standard monitored?  

The MDA may choose to conduct random audits by requesting reports of arsenic analysis from registrants and license holders.  We may also require reports of arsenic analysis prior to the approval of products that contain micronutrients, waste or ash derived fertilizer or filler materials.

I have a report of analysis for my fertilizer products that includes a list of other heavy metals.  Can I submit copies of these reports when a report of arsenic analysis is requested? 

YES.  However, the laboratory sample preparation and analysis procedures must be completed using the methods listed below.

Analysis Method

Method Number

Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP)

6010, 6010A, 6010B

Atomic Absorption (AA)

7060A (Furnace Technique) or 7061A (Gaseous Hydride)*

Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectroscopy (ICP/MS)


Use sample preparation method 3050B or 3051A. *A specific sample preparation method is detailed within the analytical procedure description for this method of analysis.

When requested to submit a report of arsenic analysis can I submit an analytical report for each raw material used to manufacture my fertilizer products? 

NO.  An analytical report of the final fertilizer product must be submitted. The sample analyzed must be from the final product in the form it will offered for sale.

What is an ash derived fertilizer or filler material?

It is a waste product of the incineration of materials including but not limited to municipal solid waste, biosolids, animal manure, coal, wood or other plant materials or a combination of these materials.

What is a waste derived fertilizer or filler material?

It is a commercial fertilizer that is derived from an industrial byproduct or other material that would otherwise be disposed of. This may include solid or hazardous wastes but does not include regulated biosolids or wastewater.

Which plant nutrients are defined as micronutrients? 

Boron (B), Chlorine (Cl), Cobalt (Co), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), Manganese (Mn), Molybdenum (Mo), Sodium (Na) and Zinc (Zn).

Are calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S) defined as micronutrients?

NO. They are secondary nutrients.

My product is a combination pesticide & fertilizer product (ex: weed and feed). Do I need to register this product as both a fertilizer and a pesticide?

YES. All combination products are required to be registered as pesticides and as specialty fertilizers. For pesticide product registration information, please contact Juanita Rodriguez at 651-201-6583. When renewing your pesticide and specialty fertilizer products, please review your applications to make sure that all combination products are appropriately registered.