During this stop, you might:
- Complete a cost analysis.
- Conduct market research to define your target market:
- What is your product?
- Where do you want to see it?
- What makes your product unique?
And work with:
- University of Minnesota Extension
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Neighborhood development agencies
- Food advocacy organizations
- Universities & other educational institutions
Useful Tools to Help You Start
- Building a Sustainable Business (PDF, MN Institute for Sustainable Agriculture)
- Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) Portal
- Learning Center (Specialty Food Association)
- Starting a Business in Minnesota (Secretary of State)
How to Write a Business Plan
- How to Write a Business Plan (Entrepreneur)
- How to Write a Business Plan (SBA Learning Center)
- Small Business Starter Kit: Business Plan Options (99designs)
- Writing a Business Plan (Sequoia)
- How to Research Your Market (Entrepreneur)
- Market Readiness Research Protocol (Oregon State University)
Business and Tax Registration
- Choose a Business Structure (SBA)
- Business Taxes (Minnesota)
- How to Calculate Sales Tax (99designs)
- How to Choose Your Business Structure for Registration (99designs)
- How to Register Your Business in Minnesota (Secretary of State)
- Internal Revenue Service
- Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Minnesota Secretary of State
- Sales & Use Tax Business Guide (Minnesota)
- Unemployment Insurance Program (Minnesota)
- Workers’ Compensation Information (Minnesota)
What Is Your Product?
- Building Your Brand (99designs)
- Marketing 101 (SBA Learning Center)
- Minnesota Cottage Foods Law (MN Farmers Market Association)
Food Packaging and Labeling
- Clean Label Guide (AURI, Agricultural Utilization Research Institute)
- Food Labeling Guide (FDA)
- Food Packaging (FDA)
- Packaging Supplier List (Cornell University)
- Packaging Guide (AURI)
- Product Labeling for Minnesota (MDH, MDA, UMN Extension)
Where Should You Sell?
Resources listed do not constitute the MDA’s endorsement of a service, program, or organization. The MDA accepts no liability for the content of these resources.