Minnesota has more than 16,000 thousand certified Private Pesticide Applicators. These applicators generally are farmers or other persons producing an agricultural commodity and using Restricted Use Pesticides (RUP) to control insects, diseases, weeds, or other pests in their production operation.

Qualifications for a Private Pesticide Applicator Certification

To purchase Restricted Use Pesticides (RUPs) you must present the name and certification number of the certified applicator. To be qualified as a Private Pesticide Applicator you must be performing pesticide applications:

  • to farmed agricultural commodity land that is owned, rented or managed by you or your family OR
  • if you are one of two or fewer employees working that land

In addition:

  • pass application and certification requirements provided by the University of Minnesota Extension
  • hold a certification card from the MDA

How to Obtain Certification

  • For training and study material visit the University of Minnesota Extension website for information about the study manual and exams.  The study manual is available online for free or a paper copy is available for purchase at county extension offices. 
  • Apply for certification online through the University of Minnesota Extension website. The certification exam itself can be completed electronically online or hard copy paper mail-in exam is available at county extension offices.
  • Pay a fee of $75.
  • Recertify at a Workshop or by re-testing. Check the Private Applicator Lookup for your expiration dates.
  • Renew before March 1st of the expiration year to avoid a gap in certification.
  • The EPA requires certification to apply Restricted Use Pesticide in Indian Country. The White Earth Band of Ojibwe recognizes an MDA issued license or credential as an alternative to the federal certification.

How to Obtain Fumigation Endorsement