The AGRI Farm to School Full Tray Grant is intended for school districts that have some Farm to School experience and want to grow their Farm to School programming and expand local procurement from Minnesota producers.
The amount of funding each school district is eligible for is based on the number of reimbursable lunches and breakfasts served in October 2019, using this formula: meals served x 10 cents x 10 months.
Example: (7,500 reimbursable lunches + 5,000 breakfasts) x $0.10 x 10 months = $12,500
The maximum award that a school district may apply for is $35,000; the minimum is $2,500. A 1:1 cash match is required.
Public or private schools or school districts that participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and serve food to K-12 students are eligible to apply. We encourage school districts serving sovereign nations to apply.
Schools just starting a Farm to School program should consider applying for the AGRI Farm to School Mini Bite Grant.
Projects must enhance and expand existing procurement and consumption of Minnesota grown and raised foods. This may include but is not limited to:
- Trialing new Minnesota grown products on the menu through taste tests
- Diversifying the products sourced from a Minnesota farm
- Increasing the number of times a Minnesota item or meal repeats on the menu
- Adding Minnesota Thursday as monthly feature to the menu
- Expanding the number of featured meals and/or items during Farm to School Month
- Introducing local sourcing into Summer Meal Programs through meals and snacks
We anticipate awarding up to $748,000 to reimburse school districts for purchasing Minnesota grown and raised foods used in school meal programs. Funding for these programs comes from the Agricultural Growth, Research, and Innovation (AGRI) Program.
- Schools may apply for $2,500 – $35,000.
- A 1:1 cash match is required.
- We ask that you only request the amount of funding you think you can spend within the grant period (approximately January 2022 – August 2023).
Applications are due no later than 4:00 pm Central Time on Thursday, November 4, 2021.
If you need the application in an alternative format, please contact the program administrator. You can also view the list of past projects and request a copy of an application to help you prepare.
In addition to applying for the AGRI Farm to School Full Tray Grant, applicants may also apply for up to $25,000 for equipment purchases. Both First Bite and Full Tray Grant applicants must match the equipment portion of their grant on a 1:1 basis. Equipment requests may include the cost of equipment, shipping, and associated installation costs and must support Farm to School initiatives.