The MDA is now accepting applications from organizations for the new, one-time Emerging Farmer Technical Assistance Grant. Grants can be used to:
- Provide technical and culturally appropriate services to emerging farmers, and/or
- Pay for up to 65% of emerging farmers' premium expenses each year up to two years under the USDA Micro Farm Crop Insurance program.
At a Glance
- Grant minimum: $10,000
- Grant maximum: $100,000
- No matching funds required
- Must be an organization (not for individuals)
- For expenses between August 2023 and June 2024
- Applications due by 8 a.m. June 26, 2023
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Compensation for staff who provide technical assistance
- Supplies and travel for technical assistance
- Up to 65% of emerging farmers' premium expenses for USDA Micro Farm Crop Insurance
- Outreach for promoting technical assistance and/or crop insurance services
- Up to 10% of the grant may fund an organization's indirect expenses, such as: office and utilities, accounting/bookkeeping services, legal fees, etc.
This Emerging Farmer Technical Assistance Grant comes in response to the MDA's Emerging Farmers Working Group, which has identified technical assistance as one of the top needs for emerging farmers.
Technical assistance consists of farm business support, such as helping farmers with:
- Record keeping
- Financial statements
- Business plans
- Permits, licenses, regulations
- Land access
- Applying for loans, grants, and other programs
- Sales and marketing
- Other business support
Emerging farmers include farmers who are American Indian or Alaskan Natives, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Asian, Pacific Islander, members of a community of color, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+, or any other emerging farmers as determined by the commissioner of agriculture.
How to Apply
Applicants should read the Request for Proposals (RFP) document in the Forms + Resources box on this page before applying. This document details funding, eligibility, application instructions, grantee requirements, application questions, and how we will review and score applications.
Apply for this grant through our online application system, also linked in the Apply Here box on this page, by 8 a.m. on June 26, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
Submit questions to Jenny Heck at email@example.com or 651-201-6316. Answers will be posted in the Q&A section on this page.