YES. A person who applies fertilizer for hire (regardless of whether the fertilizer product is custom blended, bagged, bulk, etc.) must obtain a fertilizer license from the MDA. A license is required for any application, including applications to lawns, plants (including trees and shrubs), and interior landscapes.

An application record with the following information must be provided to the customer: 1) The net weight of fertilizer applied, which may be listed as the total net weight applied or the net weight applied per unit treated; 2) the guaranteed analysis; 3) your name and address; 4) the number of units treated in square feet, acres, or another unit of measure; and 5) a fertilizer nutrient derivative statement.

An invoice/batch ticket/delivery ticket is given to the purchaser providing the following information: 1) The net weight and guaranteed analysis of each of the materials used or of the final mixture and your name and address; or 2) The net weight and guaranteed analysis of the final mixture and your name and address.

YES. A separate license is required for each fixed location where a person does business within the state. A fixed location means all stationary fertilizer operations located in the same plant location or locality (city).

NO. Only one license is required for all fixed locations that are located outside of the state.

NO. State law (Minn. Stat. Chapter 18C.425, Subdivision 4) states: If an application for renewal of a fertilizer license is not filed before January 1 of the year, as required, an additional application fee of one-half of the amount due must be paid before the renewal registration may be issued. The envelope containing your renewal application must be postmarked by December 31.

YES. Labels must be submitted for all micronutrient products.

YES.  Minnesota Statutes, Section 18C.401 Subd. 5. states "The commissioner may not license or register for sale or use in Minnesota any fertilizer containing more than 500 parts per million by weight of arsenic."

Submitting reports of arsenic analysis is no longer required for product registration or licensing.  Instead a company representative will be asked to certify that all fertilizers submitted for registration or requiring a license comply with Minnesota Statutes, Section 18C.401 Subd. 5. when signing and submitting an application for registration or license.  However, reports of arsenic analysis should be on file and available if requested by the MDA.

The MDA may conduct random audits by requesting reports of arsenic analysis from registrants and license holders.  Our department may also require reports of arsenic analysis prior to the approval of products that contain micronutrients, waste or ash derived fertilizer or filler materials.  

Definition: Ash is a waste product of the incineration of materials including but not limited to municipal solid waste, biosolids, animal manure, coal, wood or other plant materials or a combination of these materials.

Definition: Waste-derived fertilizer is a commercial fertilizer that is derived from an industrial byproduct or other material that would otherwise be disposed of. This may include solid or hazardous wastes but does not include regulated biosolids or wastewater.

YES.  However, the laboratory sample preparation and analysis procedures must be completed using the methods listed below.

Analysis Method Method Number
Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) 6010, 6010A, 6010B
Atomic Absorption (AA) 7060A (Furnace Technique) or 7061A (Gaseous Hydride)*
Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectroscopy (ICP/MS) 6020

Use sample preparation method 3050B or 3051A.
*A specific sample preparation method is detailed within the analytical procedure description for this method of analysis.

NO. An analytical report must be submitted for each fertilizer offered for sale requiring a license or registration?

NO. Labels and MSDS for renewal products need only be submitted if label modifications have been made since the last submission, products are listed as conditional, or if new products are included on the renewal or a new application.

Private label micronutrient products are micronutrient fertilizers that are manufactured by one company and offered for sale under the brand name of another company. The company that manufactures the fertilizer typically does not take responsibility for licensing, registration or labeling the fertilizer.

You may correct the information by crossing out the incorrect/obsolete information and listing any additional information on the form in the open space under the licensed locations column.

Type of Business: Type of Operation: Type of Facility:
  • Agricultural
  • Lawn Service/Ornamental
  • Manufacturer
  • Wholesaler/Distributor
  • Mobile Blending Unit
  • Retailer
  • Ground Application
  • Aerial Application
  • Ornamental Application
  • Anhydrous Ammonia
  • Dry
  • Ammoniation-granulation
  • Liquid
  • Mfg Liquid Base Materials
  • Mfg or offers for sale private label micronutrient products