Structural Pest Control Applicators (SPCA) are persons who apply pesticides or use any device to control pests on or in structures for hire. SPCA are known as pest control operators or exterminators. SPCA may not commercially apply any pesticide UNTIL they have a valid license.
Determine License Type
- Structural Applicator Licenses are for work to control, mitigate, repel pests in, on, or around structures. There is a Company, Master, and Journeyman Structural Applicator License.
- Fumigation Endorsement is a use category that can be added to a Structural Applicator License.
- A Structural Applicator may carry a Commercial License to perform work in other use categories. For a list of use categories for Commercial Licenses see License Types
How to Apply for a Structural Pest Control Applicator (SPCA) License
- Complete a NEW Structural Pesticide Applicator License application form online or download and print a Structural Pesticide Applicator License Application (PDF) to complete and mail to MDA. Also see Identification Number Requirements
- Submit License Fees and surcharges with application form either on paper or online. Payment or proof of online payment for license must be made before taking the certification exams.
- Take and pass Core - A and SPCA Journeyman exams. Call 651-201-6633 or Pesticide.Licensing@state.mn.us to schedule an exam at MDA. See Pesticide Certification Exam Steps and specifically List of Species on Exam
- All Structural Pest Control Applicators must meet Financial Responsibility Requirements
Journeyman and Master Categories
There are two categories of Structural Pest Control Applicators, Journeyman and Master. An applicator is first licensed as a SPCA Journeyman to work for a licensed SPCA Company. After two years of licensed employment under a SPCA Company and SPCA Master, an applicator can then apply to become a licensed SPCA Master following the procedure above. SPCA Master license is not available for approval through other state Reciprocity.
Structural Pest Control Company (Business) License
To obtain a Structural Pest Control Applicator license, applicators must be employed by a licensed Structural Pest Control Company. To be licensed as a company you must:
- Employ at least one SPCA Master with a valid MN applicator license
- Provide Workers Compensation Insurance Information
- Meet Financial Responsibility Requirements
- Submit a New Structural Pest Control Company License Application form (PDF) or apply online
- Pay license fees and surcharges with application
Structural Pest Control Renewal Requirements
In addition to the information for general Renewal and Recertification.
If an applicator fails to renew by March 31st they must apply as a new applicant and schedule and pass required exams.
Renewal application forms are mailed to the employer in November. The license fee is due at the time of renewal. Licenses can be renewed online, by mail or in person at the MDA. Applicators must meet recertification requirements every year before renewal.
If a license is not renewed by the expiration date of December 31st, the late fee is 50% of the license fee.
If an applicator fails to renew a structural pest control license within three months of its expiration and wants to become licensed, the applicator must meet the requirements and follow the procedures as required for an initial license including taking the Category A - Core and SPCA Journeyman or Master exams.