The Commissioner of Agriculture oversees the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) in consultation with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and the Board of Water and Soil Resources. State statute specifies the commissioner will also consult with the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program Advisory Committee in carrying out this responsibility.
Committee members are asked to provide comments and recommendations in an advisory capacity to the commissioner on the advancement of the MAWQCP, the achievement of its goals, and the betterment of Minnesota's water quality and its agricultural industry.
Charge to the Advisory Committee
The charge for the 2022-2023 Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) Advisory Committee is to provide Commissioner Petersen and MAWQCP program staff with strategic advice and recommendations for growing the MAWQCP to serve farmers and ranchers, the agricultural industry, and the nation's water resources. Committee members, as sought and selected to serve on the 2022-2023 MAWQCP Advisory Committee, shall apply their experience and expertise to identify:
- Means to integrate and align the MAWQCP in support and advancement of private and public sector sustainability goals and initiatives;
- Means to further develop the value proposition and increase the return on investment for certified producers;
- Means to promote participation via new mechanisms and among communities and growers not engaged through current program delivery operations.
Minutes from the meetings of the MAWQCP Advisory Committee are public information. To request copies of the minutes or obtain information about the next scheduled meeting contact Brad Jordahl Redlin at Brad.JordahlRedlin@state.mn.us.
The members of the 2022-2023 MAWQCP Advisory Committee are:
- Anne Schwagerl, Minnesota Farmers Union, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Ariel Kagan, Minnesota Farmers Union
- Brian Buhr, Dean of the U of M, College of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences
- Bryan Biegler, Minnesota Corn Growers Association, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Dennis Fuchs, Stearns County SWCD
- Eric Sannerud, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Joe Smentek, Minnesota Soybean Growers Association
- Leif Fixen, The Nature Conservancy
- Lori Cox, Roots Return Heritage Farm, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Lucas Sjostrom, Minnesota Milk Producers Association, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Nathan Collins, Minnesota Farm Bureau, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Spencer Herbert, Land O'Lakes Truterra
- Steve Peterson, retired - General Mills, past-Chair Field to Market, past-Chair MN Agrigrowth Council, MAWQCP Certified Producer
- Tom Raymond, Hormel Foods
- Trent Wimmer, Syngenta