We're no longer accepting applications for this year's program. Details on this page apply to the Fiscal Year 2023 round of funding. The next application period opens in the fall of 2023.
The AGRI Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Grant supports innovative on-farm research and demonstrations. It funds projects that explore sustainable agriculture practices and systems that could make farming more profitable, resource efficient, or personally satisfying. Findings are published in the Minnesota Department of Agriculture’s annual Greenbook.
Applications from Minnesota farmers receive priority, but the program also funds Minnesota nonprofits and educational organizations that meaningfully involve Minnesota farmers in projects.
Your project must last two to three years and you must be willing to share what you learn with others.
We fund projects that explore the profitability, energy efficiency, and environmental benefits of sustainable agriculture practices or systems. Projects can include, but are not limited to:
- Practices that increase environmental sustainability and improve soil health
- Conservation tillage and weed management methods
- Novel cover crops and crop rotations
- Input reduction strategies, including nutrient and pesticide management
- On-farm energy production, such as wind, methane, or biomass, or improvements in energy efficiency
- Developing/refining/improving marketing opportunities, including season extension and post-harvest storage and handling
- Novel enterprise diversification, including organic production, using traditional and non-traditional crops and livestock
- Other creative ideas that focus on environmental benefits, energy savings or production, profitability, and/or farmers’ quality of life
We expect to award up to $250,000 in Fiscal Year 2023.
You may request up to $50,000 per project. For requests between $25,000 and $50,000, you must provide a dollar-for-dollar match on the amount above $25,000.
How to apply
The application period for the 2023 grant has ended. We expect the next application period to begin in the fall of 2023; check back for updated program materials.
To learn more about the program and start planning for next year, read last year's Request for Proposals (PDF). This grant program is subject to change so you should read the updated RFP when it's posted. You can also review the list of past projects and request a copy of an application to help you prepare.
Contact us if you need this information in an alternative format.