The rulemaking process utilized by the MDA provides three opportunities for public involvement:
- When the Request for Comments (RFC) is published in the State Register, it communicates general ideas for the rulemaking. This is an opportunity for stakeholders to provide formal comments and input on the rulemaking ideas that may narrow or broaden the scope of the project. Stakeholder data or other relevant information can be submitted at this time. An example of information submitted could be relevant cost information for implementing the general ideas announced in the RFC. MDA encourages stakeholder participation at this early stage of the process so that relevant information can be considered as decisions that shape the rule are made.
- During this phase of the rulemaking, MDA generally develops a preliminary draft of rule language and makes it available for at least one informal public comment period. Throughout this phase, stakeholder meetings may be held and informal comments may be submitted.
- When a Notice of Intent to Adopt Rules is published, it signals the final opportunity for stakeholder input, unless a hearing is held. The published notice will indicate the relevant submittal deadlines. At this stage, a complete Statement of Need and Reasonableness (SONAR) and draft rule are made available for formal public comment.
The Agency can proceed with a public hearing or without one. If held, the public hearing provides an additional formal opportunity for stakeholders to testify or submit written testimony in front of an Administrative Law Judge who presides over the hearing.
On completion, MDA will publish final adoption of rules. Most rules become effective five working days after they appear in the State Register.
Check with the agency contact person to inspect written comments, written requests for a public hearing, and names of parties who requested a public hearing.
|Agency Contact Person||Current status of proposed rule and any agency determinations||Next opportunity for public comment||Timetable for adoption||Notices published||Public hearing schedule|
|Roger Mackedanz||Agency has submitted to OAH for approval.||Five day comment period starting 3/19/2020.||MDA submitted to OAH 3/19/2020. There is a five day comment period after which OAH can approve.||Notice of Pesticide Rule||No public hearing scheduled. Rule is under Minn. Stat. 14.388. Public Safety and Health Rule Exemption.|
- GO – Governor’s Office
- MMB – Minnesota Management and Budget
- OAH – Office of Administrative Hearings
- RFC – Request for Comments
- SONAR – Statement of Need and Reasonableness
- SR – Minnesota State Register