County Fair Grants help Minnesota county fairs preserve and promote Minnesota agriculture and provide access to the arts and the state’s agricultural, historical, and cultural heritage. Funds come from the Minnesota Legislature through the Agricultural Growth, Research, and Innovation Program (AGRI) and the Legacy Amendment.
Notes for Fiscal Year 2024
- AGRI and Legacy funds will still be contracted separately. Your fair will receive two contracts if you receive both grants. AGRI funds will be available until spring 2027 (up to three years after the start date). Legacy funds will be available until June 30, 2025.
- You may ask for up to 50% of your AGRI award as an advance in your application. Like last year, these advances are not automatic. Your fair must have all prior grants closed out to be eligible for an AGRI advance.
- Before spending any money, you must have a fully executed grant contract agreement (signed by all parties). We'll review applications as we receive them. All applications are due no later than February 29, 2024.
Two types of grants are available. Your fair can apply for one or both.
AGRI: Preserving and Promoting Minnesota Agriculture
- $1 million is available in equal shares to the state's county fairs. For 2024, each fair can apply for $10,175.
- AGRI funds must be used for projects that preserve and promote Minnesota agriculture. Project examples include sound equipment for judging in livestock barns, hand sanitizing stations in barns, fans for livestock barns, and agricultural education displays.
Legacy: Promoting Minnesota Arts and Agricultural History
- $400,000 is available in equal shares to the state's county fairs. For 2024, each fair can apply for $3,625.
- Legacy funds must provide access to the arts or the state’s agricultural, historical, and cultural heritage. Examples of eligible projects include spinning demonstrations, pottery workshops, antique farm equipment displays, and chainsaw artists.
County agricultural societies (i.e., county fairs) are eligible to apply.
- Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, February 29, 2024.
- We strongly encourage you to use our online application.
- If you are a new user, you will need to create an account.
- Once you are logged in, select "County Fair Grant Programs FY24."
- Before you apply, read the Request for Proposals (PDF) for guidelines on eligible and ineligible expenses.
Contact us if you need this information in an alternative format.