County Fair Grants help Minnesota county fairs preserve and promote Minnesota agriculture and provide access to the arts and the state’s agricultural, historical, and cultural heritage. Funds come from the Minnesota Legislature through the Agricultural Growth, Research, and Innovation Program (AGRI) and the Legacy Amendment.
Notes for Fiscal Year 2023
- We are not doing a “Notice of Intent to Apply” process this year.
- AGRI and Legacy funds will still be contracted separately. Your fair will receive two contracts if you receive both grants. The AGRI funds will be available until spring 2026 (up to three years after the start date). The Legacy funds will be available until June 30, 2024.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Before you spend any money, your grant contract agreement must be fully executed (signed by all parties). The last day we can accept applications is March 2, 2023.
Two types of grants are available. Fairs can apply for one or both.
AGRI: Preserving and Promoting Minnesota Agriculture
- $1 million available in equal shares to the state's county fairs. For 2023, each fair can apply for $10,230.
- AGRI funds must be used for projects that preserve and promote Minnesota agriculture. Project examples include sound equipment for judging in livestock barns, hand sanitizing stations in barns, fans for livestock barns, and agricultural education displays.
Legacy: Promoting Minnesota Arts and Agricultural History
- $400,000 available in equal shares to the state's county fairs. For 2023, each fair can apply for $3,680.
- Legacy funds must provide access to the arts or the state’s agricultural, historical, and cultural heritage. Examples of eligible projects include spinning demonstrations, blacksmith workshops, antique farming equipment displays, and chainsaw artists.
County agricultural societies (i.e., county fairs) are eligible to apply.
- Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, March 2, 2023.
- We strongly encourage you to use our online application.
- If you are a new user, you will need to create an account.
- Once you are logged in, select County Fair Grants.
- Before you apply, read the Request for Proposals (PDF) for guidelines on eligible and ineligible expenses.
Contact us if you need this information in an alternative format.