A person collecting milk from a dairy farm and transporting the milk by bulk pickup and not in individual containers from farm to plant must obtain a bulk milk hauler and sampler license. Applicants must apply and before the license is issued, the commissioner shall determine that the applicant is competent and qualified.
An initial bulk milk hauler and sampler license expires on the following December 31 and is not transferable. A renewal bulk milk hauler and sampler license is not transferable, is valid for two years, and expires on December 31 of the second year.
The fee for an initial or renewal bulk milk hauler and sampler license is $60. If a bulk milk hauler and sampler license renewal is not applied for on or before January 1, a fee of $30 shall be imposed. A person who does not renew a bulk milk hauler and sampler license within one year following its December 31 expiration date, except those persons who do not renew the bulk milk hauler and sampler license while engaged in active military service, shall be required to prove competency and qualification before a bulk milk hauler and sampler license is issued.
New Online Exam Available for Bulk Haulers
The following describes the steps involved to take the online exam for a bulk hauler license. All new bulk haulers seeking to secure a license will need to complete the exam before having an in-person evaluation with a dairy inspector.
- Send your full name, email address (must be unique to you - not shared with any other applicants), and employer to the Bulk Hauler Coordinator, Grace Martin, at Grace.Martin@state.mn.us.
- Once the Bulk Hauler Coordinator has received your request, you will be enrolled in the course. The Bulk Hauler Coordinator will email you a username and temporary password, as well as additional instructions for accessing the course online. Log in with the provided username and password.
- Complete the exam independently; you may use the Bulk Hauler Study Guide as a resource while taking this exam.
- After completing the exam, your score will be calculated, and your answers will be forwarded to the Dairy Inspector.
- If you received a passing score on the exam (70% or higher), your Dairy Inspector will contact you to arrange to pick up your application and check for $60, and to set up a time for your evaluation.
- If you did not receive a passing score, you will have an opportunity to re-take the exam. Your Dairy Inspector will call you to review the questions you answered incorrectly. After speaking with the Dairy Inspector, you must notify the Bulk Hauler Coordinator that you are ready to attempt the exam again, and you will be re-enrolled.
- If you are unable to complete the exam online, other accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- If you have any questions or trouble accessing the exam, contact Grace Martin at Grace.Martin@state.mn.us or 651-707-7751.