Each registrant under section (Minn. Stat. 18C.411) and each company licensed under section (Minn. Stat. 18C.415) must file an annual tonnage report for the previous year ending June 30 with the MDA on forms provided or approved by the MDA.
Reporting forms are mailed out to each fertilizer licensee during the month of May. This report is mandatory and must be filed by July 31st of each year even if your firm has zero sales to report.
If a licensee distributes fertilizer solely by custom application, they are not required to submit a tonnage report and the inspection fee is not required.
How to complete the tonnage report
- If you have questions please contact Carol Durden before you proceed (Carol.Durden@state.mn.us or 651-201-6379).
- Please verify that your license number, company name and address(es) are correct. Make any updates/corrections directly to the form.
INSPECTION FEE DUE COLUMNS (Fertilizer sold to end user (grower))
This section (left side of form) is to be completed in its entirety by the person responsible for the payment of the inspection and ACRRA (Agricultural Chemical Response and Reimbursement Account) fees to the MDA.
- COUNTY CODE (where product was applied) column: Enter the county code in which the product was actually applied. Separate lines are required for each county code for each raw fertilizer material. See a list of the county codes and their respective county names.
- FERTILIZER CODE column: Enter the fertilizer code of each raw fertilizer material. See a list of the fertilizer codes.
- FERTILIZER MATERIAL column: Enter each raw fertilizer material sold, not the grade of each custom blend sold. Do not enter fertilizer brand names.
- FERTILIZER ANALYSIS (NPK) column: Enter the percentage analysis for the Nitrogen, Phosphates, and Potash guarantees. If the product is a secondary or micronutrient product with no NPK, leave this column blank.
- INSPECTION FEE DUE TONS columns: Enter the number of tons of each raw fertilizer material. Total the tons, enter the number of tons at the bottom of the Inspection Fee Due Tons column on page 2 and on INSPECTION Fee line (line 1 on page 1).
FEE EXEMPTION COLUMNS (Fertilizer sold to licensed dealer/distributor)
This section (right side of form) is to be completed in its entirety if you are claiming an exemption (fertilizer sold to another licensed agricultural fertilizer dealer, wholesaler and/or distributor) of having to pay fees.
- LICENSE NUMBER column: Enter the Minnesota Fertilizer License Number of the firm purchasing fertilizer. The name and address will not be accepted. Separate lines are required for each exempt company tonnage claim of each fertilizer material. See a list of Minnesota Fertilizer Licenses.
- FERTILIZER CODE, FERTILIZER MATERIAL and FERTILIZER ANALYSIS columns: Enter the respective fertilizer code, the raw fertilizer material sold and percentage analysis for the Nitrogen, Phosphates, and Potash guarantees. If the product is a secondary or micronutrient product with no NPK, leave the Fertilizer Analysis column blank. See a list of county codes and fertilizer codes.
- EXEMPT DIST columns: Enter the number of tons of each raw fertilizer material sold. Total the tons, enter the number of tons at the bottom of page 2. DO NOT INCLUDE THIS NUMBER ON PAGE 1.
- INSPECTION FEE (line 1): Multiply the total tons from the “Inspection Fee Due Tons” column (from page 2) by the inspection fee listed and enter the dollar amount on line 1a. A minimum of $10 is due on all tonnage reports.
- LATE FILING/PENALTY FEE (line 2): If a report is filed after the deadline (postmarked after July 31st) a late filing fee is required. To calculate the late filing fee, multiply the dollar amount from line 1a by 10% (0.10). Enter this amount on line 2a or a minimum of $50 whichever is greater.
- AGRICULTURAL CHEMICAL RESPONSE AND REIMBURSEMENT (ACRRA) SURCHARGE: Enter the total tons from the INSPECTION FEE line (line 1) on line the ACRRA line 3. Multiply the total tons by the ACRRA surcharge listed and enter the dollar amount on line 3a.
- Add the dollar amounts from lines 1a, 2a, and 3a and enter the amount due on the “Total Fees Due” line.
Once the tonnage report is completed, certify the report by completing the signature block information located on the bottom of page 1. Save a copy of the report for your records and mail the report, along with the payment due (shown on the “Total Fees Due” line) to Minnesota Department of Agriculture, 625 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55155