Each registrant under section (Minn. Stat. 18C.411) and each company licensed under section (Minn. Stat. 18C.415) must file an annual tonnage report for the previous year ending June 30 with the MDA on forms provided or approved by the MDA.
Reporting forms are mailed out to each fertilizer licensee during the month of May. This report is mandatory and must be filed by July 31st of each year even if your firm has zero sales to report.
If a licensee distributes fertilizer or soil and plant amendments solely by custom application, they are not required to submit a tonnage report and the inspection fee is not required.
How to complete the tonnage report
- If you have questions please contact Carol Durden before you proceed (Carol.Durden@state.mn.us or 651-201-6379).
- Please verify that your license number, name and address of the Guarantor and Registrant are correct. Make any updates/corrections directly to the form.
- SOIL AND PLANT AMENDMENT PRODUCT NAME column: Enter each soil/plant amendment product distributed in Minnesota by brand name.
- TONS DISTRIBUTED column: Enter the number of tons for each soil/plant amendment product distributed in Minnesota. Total the tons, enter the number of tons at the bottom of page 2 and on the INSPECTION FEE line. (line 1 on page 1).
- INSPECTION FEE (line 1): Multiply the total tons by the inspection fee listed and enter the dollar amount on line 1a. due on the "Total Fees Due" linedollar amount on line 1a. A minimum of $10 is due on all tonnage reports.
- LATE FILING/PENALTY FEE: If the report is filed after the deadline (postmarked after July 31st) a late filing fee is required. To calculate the late filing fee, multiply the dollar amount from line 1a by 10% (0.10). Enter this amount on line 2a with a minimum of $50 whichever is greater.
- AGRICULTURAL CHEMICAL RESPONSE AND REIMBURSEMENT ACT (ACRRA) SURCHARGE: Enter the total tons from the INSPECTION FEE (line 1) on the ACRRA line 3. Multiply the total tons by the ACRRA surcharge listed and enter the dollar amount on line 3a.
- Add the dollar amounts from lines 1a, 2a, and 3a and enter the amount due on the “Total Fees Due” line.
Once the report is completed, certify it by completing the signature block information located on the bottom of page 1. Save a copy of the report for your records and mail the report, along with payment for the fees due (shown on the “Total Fees Due” line, if any) to Minnesota Department of Agriculture, 625 Robert Street N, St. Paul, MN 55155.