This program makes it more affordable for farmers to work with an organic certifying agency while they transition to organic (typically 36 months, but may be less). We think getting involved with a certifying agency early in the process can improve farmers’ confidence about the transition and help them be more successful when it’s time to apply and be inspected “for real.”
Applications must be postmarked by February 14, 2021.
Who is eligible?
Minnesota residents who are new to organic (nothing already certified) and are in the process of transitioning land and/or animals on a farm in Minnesota.
You must provide a letter or other document from a USDA-accredited organic certification agency confirming that you are in transition status and that you had a practice on-farm inspection between 1/1/20 and 12/31/20.
If you are certified organic on or before September 30, you might qualify for the Organic Certification Cost-Share program.
How much is available?
75% of eligible costs paid between January 1 and December 31, with a maximum payment of $750/year for up to three years or until you are certified, whichever comes first.
- Certifier costs, such as application, review, or inspection charges
- Soil tests
- Registration fees for up to two people to attend one of the following educational events:
- Minnesota Organic Conference
- Iowa Organic Conference
- MOSES Organic Conference
- Northern Plains Sustainable Ag Society Conference
- South Dakota State Organic Conference
How to Apply
- Complete the Minnesota Transition to Organic Cost-Share Application (you can print out and fill in by hand or complete online and then print it out.)
- Send the completed application to us along with the following:
- A letter or other document from your certifying agency that verifies you are in transition and had an on-farm practice inspection between 1/1/20 and 12/31/20
- Proof of payment for any costs you are submitting
- Completed IRS Form W-9
- You can apply at any time, but the last date your application can be postmarked is February 14, 2021. We cannot accept emailed or faxed applications. Mail the required items to:
MN Transition to Organic Cost-Share/AMD
625 Robert St N
Saint Paul MN 55155-2538