The Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant is intended to be an intentional learning process for school districts that have little to no experience with local procurement as part of a Farm to School program.
The amount a school district may apply for is a minimum of $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000 and there is no match required.
Public or private schools or school districts that participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and serve food to K-12 students are eligible to apply. We encourage school districts serving sovereign tribal nations to apply.
School districts that have prior Farm to School experience, or that have previously received a Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant should apply for the Farm to School Full Tray Grant.
Projects must focus on intentional, high-impact Farm to School efforts that highlight Minnesota grown and raised foods. These may include but are not limited to:
- Trialing new Minnesota grown products on the menu or through taste tests
- Participating in the Great Lakes Apple Crunch
- Hosting a Breakfast or Lunch with a Farmer meal
- Increasing the number of times a Minnesota item or meal repeats on the menu
- Expanding the number of featured items or meals during Farm to School Month
- Adding Minnesota Thursdays as a monthly feature to the menu
- Introducing local sourcing into the School Breakfast Program
Through our Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and with the support of the Cargill Foundation, we anticipate awarding nearly $3.5 million to reimburse school districts for purchasing Minnesota grown and raised foods used in school meal programs.
- Schools may apply for $2,500 – $10,000.
- There is no cash match.
- We ask that you only request the amount of funding you think you can spend within the grant period (approximately January 2023 – January 2024).
Applications are due no later than 4:00 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, November 17, 2022.
- Read the full Farm to School First Bite and AGRI Equipment Request for Proposals (PDF) for eligibility and requirements and apply online.
Contact us if you need the application in an alternative format. You can also view our list of past projects and request a copy of an application to help you prepare.
AGRI Equipment Grant
In addition to applying for the Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant, you may also apply for up to $35,000 for equipment purchases.
- Equipment requests may include the cost of equipment, shipping, and associated installation costs and must support Farm to School initiatives.
- There is a 1:1 match requirement and equipment projects must be completed by August 31, 2025.
- Receiving a First Bite Grant does not guarantee you will receive equipment funding.