The Commissioner of Agriculture oversees the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) in consultation with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and the Board of Water and Soil Resources. State statute specifies the commissioner will also consult with the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program Advisory Committee in carrying out this responsibility.
Committee members are asked to provide comments and recommendations in an advisory capacity to the commissioner on the advancement of the MAWQCP, the achievement of its goals, and the betterment of Minnesota's water quality and its agricultural industry.
Charge to the Advisory Committee
The charge for the 2019-2020 Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) Advisory Committee is to provide Commissioner Petersen and MAWQCP program staff with strategic advice and recommendations for growing the MAWQCP to serve farmers and ranchers, the agricultural industry, and the nation's water resources. Committee members, as sought and selected to serve on the 2019-2020 MAWQCP Advisory Committee, shall apply their experience and expertise to identify:
- Means to integrate and align the MAWQCP in support and advancement of private sector sustainability goals and initiatives;
- Means to promote participation via mechanisms and among communities and growers not engaged via current program delivery operations.
- Means to further develop the value proposition and increase the return on investment for certified producers.
Minutes from the meetings of the MAWQCP Advisory Committee are public information. To request copies of the minutes or obtain information about the next scheduled meeting, contact Brad Jordahl Redlin at Brad.JordahlRedlin@state.mn.us.
2019-2020 Advisory Committee Members
- Becky Kenow, Land O'Lakes Inc.
- Brian Buhr, University of Minnesota (CFANS)
- Dennis Fuchs, Stearns County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Eric Sannerud, Mighty Axe Hops/Certified Farmer
- Kirby Hettver, Minnesota Corn Growers Association Past President
- Leif Fixen, The Nature Conservancy
- Lori Cox, Roots Return Heritage Farm/Certified Farmer
- Lucas Sjostrom, Midwest Dairy Association
- Marguerite Tan, Hormel
- Nathan Collins, Minnesota Farm Bureau/Certified Farmer
- Paul Freeman, Certified Farmer/MSGA Past President
- Peter Ripka, MN Farmers Union
- Steve Peterson, General Mills-retired/Certified Farmer
- Trent Wimmer, Syngenta