UPDATE: Dairy producers who have locked in five years of DMC coverage and who have not already successfully enrolled in the DAIRI program may still apply for the program. Complete applications must be mailed to the MDA and postmarked by December 31, 2019. These applicants will only be eligible for the second round of payments.
The DAIRI program provides financial assistance to small- to medium-sized dairy operations that participate in the USDA Farm Service Agency’s Dairy Margin Coverage (DMC) program.
Am I eligible to apply?
- Be the principal operator of a Minnesota dairy cow operation that produced less than 16,000,000 pounds (160,000 cwt) of milk in 2018, and
- Have signed up for five years of coverage through the DMC during the enrollment period of June 17, 2019 to September 27, 2019.
How do I apply?
To participate in the program, you must submit the following four documents to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture:
- Completed application form with your signature
- Statement(s) from your processor(s) that show quantity of milk produced between 1/1/2018 and 12/31/2018. Self-completed worksheets and sales records will not be accepted.
- Completed copy of your DMC enrollment form
- Completed IRS Form W-9
Complete applications received after October 8, 2019 and postmarked before December 31, 2019 are eligible only for the second round of payments.
Send your application materials to:
Minnesota Department of Agriculture
625 Robert St N
St Paul MN 55155
How much and when will I be paid?
We will make up to two payments to eligible producers based on the amount of milk produced in 2018, up to 50,000 cwt.
Producers who successfully enrolled in the program by October 8, 2019 received a check based on 10 cents per cwt. Here’s an example of an initial payment:
25,000 cwt (2018 production) x $0.10 = $2,500 payment
Producers who are successfully enrolled and have received their first check do not need to take any action. They will automatically receive a second payment.
Producers who did not successfully apply by October 8, including those who submitted an incomplete application or did not submit any materials, must return completed applications by December 31, 2019 to be eligible for the second payment.
We will verify with the Farm Service Agency your enrollment for five years of DMC coverage to ensure eligibility for the second payment. The second payment amount will be based on the available funding and your 2018 production.
You will not be paid for milk produced over 50,000 cwt.