• facebook
  • twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS feed
  • 651-201-6000
  • 800-967-2474
  • 711 TTY

NodeFire Save Document
Home > Protecting Our Lands & Waters > Clean Water Fund > Additional Resources > Manure Applicator Education

Manure Applicator Education

The MDA used Clean Water Fund dollars to enhance manure applicator training and education.Manure spreading Funding was used to improve training manuals for site managers and develop curriculum and online certification training for Commercial Animal Waste Technicians (manure applicators). Including a series of nine training modules.

Improvements in the program increase the professionalism of the industry and support a higher degree of licensing oversight. New educational materials help ensure that manure is safely handled and properly applied. 

Training modules are complete and viewable as YouTube videos


Improved training manual for site managers: This manual is used as a study guide for an exam that evaluates knowledge of proper management and application of animal waste. Minnesota has about 300 Commercial Animal Waste Technician site managers. Updates were completed in December 2014; the manual was last updated in 2002.

Online certification training program: Funding was used to develop curriculum and online exam technology for a Commercial Animal Waste Technician Applicator Certification Training Program. All commercial manure applicators will be required to be certified and have a current license to work in Minnesota. This was implemented in early 2015.

The MDA worked closely with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, County Feedlot Officers and the University of Minnesota. Subject matter work groups, including people that apply liquid and soil manure commercially,provided feedback during the development of educational materials. Education manuals and online training were developed through a contract with the University of Minnesota.

Minnesota law requires Commercial Animal Waste Technicians (CAWT) to obtain a state license. If you apply or manage manure on a for-hire basis, you must be licensed. There are two categories, solid and liquid. An open-book exam is required as part of the license application.

For more information please visit the Commercial Animal Waste Technician Licensing web page.


MDA Contact

Gary L. Edwards
Licensing and Certification Unit Supervisor
Gary.Edwards@state.mn.us ~ 651-201-6472