The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has funds available to support safeTALK: Preventing Suicide in Agricultural Communities. This training is for farmers, farm family members, and community members who work with or support them (e.g. federal/state/county agencies, lenders, accountants, veterinarians, ag-oriented businesses like feed and implement dealers, agronomists, clergy, health and mental health providers, etc.)
The 4-hour, interactive workshop teaches participants how to recognize someone having thoughts of suicide, how to engage them, and how to make sure they get help. It is a very popular program; 85% of participants at sessions across Minnesota in 2019 and 2020 said they would definitely recommend the training to colleagues or co-workers.
The MDA will provide a partial sponsorship of $500 per qualifying event to groups and organizations that want to offer this training in Minnesota. Funds are available on a first come-first served basis. We strongly encourage you to charge a nominal participant registration fee in addition to securing other funding if needed.
Please submit your sponsorship request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following information:
- Name and address of organization coordinating the training
- Phone and email of contact person
- Proposed training location
- Proposed date of training
- Name of safeTALK trainer
- Who is your target audience?
- How will you promote the training?
- How will you ensure that farmers and people who work with farmers receive priority for registration?
- What are your other sources of funding for this training?