This web mapping application was developed in cooperation between the MDA and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and intended for use as a visual aid to better understand where drinking water source water protection areas are located throughout Minnesota. The web map provides basic information to the general public of where their drinking water supply comes from, and probability to which it may be impacted by potential contamination sources.
To access the mapping application, read the disclaimer box below and click on "Accept the Disclaimer and Launch the Web Map"
Using the mapping application you can:
- Zoom to specific areas by an Address, City, or Zip Code search
- View drinking water source water protection layers and their associated attributes
- Print maps
Three drinking water source water protection layers are included.
- Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA) is the MDH approved surface and subsurface area surrounding a public water supply well through which contaminants are likely to move toward and reach the well.
- Drinking water supply management area (DWSMA) is the MDH approved surface and subsurface area surrounding a public water supply well that completely contains the wellhead protection area and is managed by the entity identified in a wellhead protection plan, usually a city. The boundaries of the drinking water supply management area are “squared off” to be easily identifiable and are marked off by roads, landmarks or administrative boundaries.
- Drinking water supply management area vulnerability is an assessment of the likelihood for a potential contaminant source within the drinking water supply management area to contaminate a public water supply well.
MAPS GENERATED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE ARE TO BE USED FOR DISPLAY OR PLANNING PURPOSES ONLY. DATA IS NOT SURVEY QUALITY AND IS THEREFORE NOT TO BE USED AS A BASIS FOR LEGAL DECISIONS. SEARCH RESULTS AND ASSOCIATED MAPS ARE CREATED USING THE MOST RECENT DATA AVAILABLE TO THE DEPARTMENT.
THE STATE OF MINNESOTA, THE MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, AND EMPLOYEES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY TO ANY PERSON OR ENTITY FOR THE USE OF THIS INFORMATION. ANY USE OF THIS INFORMATION IS MADE AT THE RISK OF THE USER.
THIS SITE WILL CHANGE AS MAPS AND APPLICATIONS ARE CREATED AND UPDATED. SOME OF THE MAP APPLICATIONS MAY BE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE DURING DATA UPDATES, SYSTEM MAINTENANCE AND OTHER RELATED ACTIVITIES. AGENCY STAFF WILL WORK TO RESTORE THE SITE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE IN THE EVENT OF ANY DISRUPTIONS. YOUR PATIENCE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
PLEASE NOTE: Your browser will open the Drinking Water Protection Interactive Mapping application in a new window.