A trainer's guide featuring six food safety training modules
The Retail Meat and Poultry Processing Training Modules' curriculum is a comprehensive training guide designed to assist you in teaching retail meat and poultry industry food handlers. The program emphasizes the importance of food handling practices that reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
This trainer's guide features six training modules. The topics for these modules were developed to address knowledge gaps identified in HACCP plan audits of retail meat and poultry processing operations and food service establishments. Concepts reinforced in the modules also address the critical violations often cited on a routine health inspection. The six module topics are:
- Sanitation : The Foundation of Food Safety
- Safe Sandwich Making
- Curing & Sausage Making : Food Safety Principles
- Grinding Meat : Food Safety Principles
- Vacuum Packaging : Food Safety Principles
- Cook-Chill : Food Safety Principles
Each module includes a PowerPoint presentation with photographs which depict the process being addressed. The photographs familiarize the trainee with the process and its variations. The modules also address specific hazards associated with that process, critical control points, critical limits, monitoring activities, recordkeeping and activities to reinforce concepts.
It takes 30-60 minutes to teach each module. Activities can be used to reinforce key concepts or instead of the PowerPoint presentation.
Pretests and posttests are part of the program. The pretest allows you to assess prior knowledge so educational efforts align addressing the knowledge gaps. The posttest shows knowledge gained from the training experience. Comparison of the modules' Pretest/Posttest results can serve as a knowledge-based evaluation tool.
The Support Materials section contains background information and support materials to increase your expertise in each topic.
Each module contains a set of training tools that are simple to use and flexible in their delivery. Food inspectors, sanitarians, quality assurance coordinators, managers and food safety trainers can use modules in a variety of ways:
- Bring up one of the six PowerPoint presentations and review with food handlers onsite during an inspection.
- Use an activity and emphasize a concept or procedure with food handlers.
- Use as a new employee orientation tool. Have employees review the PowerPoint presentation and complete the Pretest/Posttests and/or activities as a self-paced training aid.
- Conduct a classroom training session using the PowerPoint presentation and/or module activities.
Note: Minnesota Food Code regulations are cited in this guide. Refer to your regulatory authority.
Produced under a Cooperative Agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).
This publication is produced by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. For additional copies of this publication write to us at: Dairy, Food, Feed & Meat Inspection, 625 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55155-2538.
Disclaimer Statement: Any reference to a commercial product, service, publication, or other reference resource is made with the understanding that no discrimination is intended, and no endorsement is implied by any of the agencies involved in developing the program.