Changes to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture website are coming soon.
In order to see future content, please update your browser. More information.

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS feed
  • 651-201-6000
  • 800-967-2474
  • 711 TTY

NodeFire Save Document
Home > Licensing, Inspections, Certifications & Testing > Licensing > Private Pesticide Applicator Certification

Private Pesticide Applicator Certification

Minnesota has more than 17,000 certified Private Pesticide Applicators. These applicators generally are farmers or other persons producing an agricultural commodity and using restricted-use pesticides (RUPs) to control insects, diseases, weeds or other pests in their production operation.

Private Pesticide Applicator Certification Qualifications

To purchase Restricted Use Pesticides (RUPs) you must present your certification card. To be qualified as a Private Pesticide Applicators you must be performing pesticide applications

  • to farmed agricultural commodity land that is owned, rented or managed by you or your family or
  • if you are one of two or fewer employees working that land
  • pass application and certification requirements provided by the University of Minnesota Extension
  • hold a certification card from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)

How to obtain Certification

  • For training and study material visit the University of Minnesota Extension website for information about the study manual and exams.  The study manual is available online  for free or a paper copy is available for purchase at county extension offices for $10.00
  • Apply for certification online. The certification exam itself can be completed electronically online or hard copy paper mail-in exam is available at county extension offices.
  • Pay a fee of $75
  • Recertify at a Workshop or by re-testing before you renew. Check here for your expiration dates Private Applicator Lookup
  • Renew before March 1st of the expiration year to avoid a gap in certification

How to obtain Fumigation Endorsement

Additional Information

Contact Us

    Please contact the Licensing & Certification Unit at 651-201-6633 or email us at