1. Contact MDA Export Services (651-201-6558) to determine whether or not your commodity is eligible for phytosanitary certification. Only raw and minimally processed plant products are eligible.
2. Contact MDA Export Services (651-201-6558) to determine phytosanitary certification (phyto) requirements for destination country.
3. Determine how you will meet the inspection requirements to obtain a phyto.
4. Create an application in PCIT and submit it to the MDA duty station (MN: Saint Paul (state)).
5. MDA will process all complete applications (with all supporting inspections and paperwork) in 1-3 business days. Certificates are mailed to the applicant by US mail, unless the applicant requests a different method or address.
6. Phytosanitary certificates must be presented to the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) in the destination country at the time the shipment arrives in that country.
Caution: NEVER put phytos in shipping label holders on the outside of boxes – they tend to disappear along the way to the destination country.