Changes to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture website are coming soon.
In order to see future content, please update your browser. More information.



  • facebook
  • twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS feed
  • 651-201-6000
  • 800-967-2474
  • 800-627-3529 TDD
  • PARKING

Loading
NodeFire Save Document
Home > Grants, Loans & Financing > Grant Opportunities > Farm to School Grant Program

Farm to School Grant Program


Purpose

Supports Minnesota school districts and child care providers in the processing of Minnesota agricultural products. Grants are intended to:

  • Create feasibility plan that identifies specific equipment, tools, training or policies needed by school districts and child care providers;
  • Purchase equipment to allow schools and child care providers to purchase, prepare and serve more Minnesota grown and raised food.

Who's Eligible

Public or private schools or school districts; child care providers; economic development organizations, non-profit organizations and educational service cooperatives.  See the RFP for more detail.

What's Eligible and Amount Available

Eligible Projects:

  1. Feasibility Study - Up to 75% of the total project cost may be covered by the grant, with a maximum grant award of $30,000 and a minimum grant award of $1,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 25% of the project cost as a cash match. Blue Cross funds may NOT be used for feasibility studies.
  2. Equipment Purchases And Physical Improvements - Up to 50% of the total project cost may be covered by the grant, with a maximum grant award of $50,000 and a minimum grant award of $1,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 50% of the project cost as a cash match.  Blue Cross funds may be used for this type of funding.

The MDA anticipates awarding up to $500,000 through the Minnesota Farm to School Grant Program.  The Center for Prevention at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota (Blue Cross) has committed up to $125,000 to help schools and child care providers meet the requirement for matching funds for equipment or physical improvement projects.

See the RFP for more detail.

Application Period

Proposals must be received no later than 4:00 PM on Wednesday, November 4, 2015.

Link to Application

Apply onlineFor instructions on how to register to apply, review this tutorial (PDF: 867 KB / 8 pages).

Request for Proposal and Application (PDF: 306 KB / 14 pages) 
** MAC Users: Please complete the form using Adobe Reader. **

Frequently Asked Questions

All questions regarding the RFP should be submitted in writing to Ashley Bress at ashley.bress@state.mn.us. All questions received, along with the answers to those questions, will be posted on the FAQ page.

FY15 Recipients

Summary of Fiscal year 2015 funded grant projects (PDF: KB / 2 pages) - coming soon!

MDA Contact

Ashley Bress, Program Administrator
ashley.bress@state.mn.us, 651-201-6648

Ag Marketing & Development Division