The Commissioner of Agriculture oversees the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) in consultation with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and the Board of Water and Soil Resources. State statute specifies the commissioner will also consult with the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program Advisory Committee in carrying out this responsibility.
Committee members are asked to provide comments and recommendations in an advisory capacity to the commissioner on the advancement of the MAWQCP, the achievement of its goals, and the betterment of Minnesota's water quality and its agricultural industry.
Charge to the Advisory Committee
The charge for the 2017-2018 Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) Advisory Committee is to provide Commissioner Frederickson and MAWQCP program staff with strategic advice and recommendations for growing the MAWQCP to serve farmers and ranchers, the agricultural industry, and the nation's water resources. Committee members, as sought and selected to serve on the 2017-2018 MAWQCP Advisory Committee, shall apply their experience and expertise to identify:
- Means to integrate and align the MAWQCP in support and advancement of private sector sustainability goals and initiatives;
- Means to promote participation via mechanisms and among communities and growers not engaged via current program delivery operations.
The goal of the program is to reach a statewide target of 1,000,000 MAWQCP-certified acres by the end of 2019.
Minutes from the meetings of the MAWQCP Advisory Committee are public information. To request copies of the minutes or obtain information about the next scheduled meeting, contact Brad Redlin at Brad.Redlin@state.mn.us.
2017-2018 Advisory Committee Members
- Brian Buhr, University of Minnesota (CFANS)
- Nathan Collins, Minnesota Farm Bureau
- Paul Freeman, Certified Farmer/MSGA Past President
- Dennis Fuchs, Stearns County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Kirby Hettver, Minnesota Corn Growers Association
- Becky Kenow, Land O'Lakes Inc.
- Mark Muller, The McKnight Foundation
- Macie O'Shaughnessy, Syngenta
- Molly Pederson, Member at Large
- Steve Peterson, General Mills-retired/Certified Farmer
- Lucas Sjostrom, Midwest Dairy Association
- Joe Smentek, Minnesota Soybean Growers Association
- Paul Sweeney, Ecosystem Services Exchange
- Marguerite Tan, Hormel
- Gary Wertish, Minnesota Farmers Union President