The NextGen Board's role is to develop biofuels, biobased content, and biobased formulated product, policies and recommendations to the Minnesota Legislature. The Board will research and recommend how the state can invest its resources to most efficiently achieve energy independence, agricultural and natural resources sustainability, and rural economic vitality.
Minnesota Statutes 41A.105, Subd. 3. Duties. The board shall research and report to the commissioner of agriculture and to the legislature recommendations as to how the state can invest its resources to most efficiently achieve energy independence, agricultural and natural resources sustainability, and rural economic vitality. The board shall:
(1) examine the future of fuels, such as synthetic gases, biobutanol, hydrogen, methanol, biodiesel, and ethanol within Minnesota;
(2) examine the opportunity for biobased content and biobased formulated product production at integrated biorefineries or stand-alone facilities using agricultural and forestry feedstocks;
(3) develop equity grant programs to assist locally owned facilities;
(4) study the proper role of the state in creating financing and investing and providing incentives;
(5) evaluate how state and federal programs, including the Farm Bill, can best work together and leverage resources;
(6) work with other entities and committees to develop a clean energy program; and
(7) report to the legislature before February 1 each year with recommendations as to appropriations and results of past actions and projects.
Subd. 4.Commissioner's duties. The commissioner of agriculture shall administer this section.
Subd. 5. Expiration. This section expires June 30, 2015.
History: 2007 c 45 art 1 s 47; 2008 c 297 art 1 s 21; 2011 c 107 s 3; 2013 c 114 art 2 s 46-48
Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA), 625 Robert Street N, St. Paul, MN 55155-2538, firstname.lastname@example.org